Monday, July 20, 2009

The DR: On dancing, Adolescence, and Breasts

¡Hola otra vez!
 
*On dancing

Dominicans are completely confused when you tell them that a lot of Americans don’t dance. ”Especially the men,” I explained once. “But what do they do?” was the bemused response. “What do they do at night? What do they do at parties?” Dancing here is like walking; if you can’t do it, you must have a sprained ankle. And music is everywhere. Even when we went out to the countryside, the riverside bungalow was equipped with a dance floor and a set of giant vocinas. Speakers. We blasted merengue and bachata out over the river. Loida and her boyfriend danced.

Daniel is teaching me bachata and merengue. I like dancing with him because I don’t have to worry about what it means. When we’re dancing together it means we’re dancing together, na’ma’ (which is Dominican for ‘nada más’ which is Spanish for ‘nothing more’). When I’m dancing with Dominicans, dancing too close seems to have sketchy significance, keeping distance is stiff and uptight, blah blah blah. Anyway, even a rhythmically challenged white girl can manage these dance steps. I can’t do anything fancy, and I certainly don’t look native, but I can get by. Still, poor Dan. His girlfriend works most nights at a pharmacy and he’s stuck on the dance floor with an amateur.

*On Lisbeth y Santa

I am getting to be friends with Lisbeth and Santa. They are both 12, but on opposite ends of the growth spectrum. Santica is tiny, Lisbeth looks like she’s 15. Santa moves like a cat and is learning the fine art of butt shaking; Lisbeth doesn’t quite know what to do with her limbs yet. They are both in the house day in and day out. Sometimes they do chores, but mostly they just chill.



It’s strange to think they could be my students. I can hardly imagine hanging out so much with my students without going crazy, but of course, I am not their teacher. In fact they are the ones doing the teaching most of the time. How to cook, how to do laundry, how to pronounce things in Spanish…. Today Lisbeth brought out Santa’s diary and read me one of the stories. Díos mio. It was about a girl named Camila whose father let her go on a cruise for her 15th birthday, her quinseañera. On the cruise she met a very cute boy named Raúl. He gave her cards and flowers and their romance developed until the last night of the cruise, when she gave him the most important thing in her life: her virginity. The next day, he gave her one last gift before they parted: a box and a card that said, “Do not open until you get home.” She obeyed. When she got home she opened the box and inside was a black flower and a note that said, “Welcome to the world of AIDS.”

Interpret at will, my friends.

*On boobs

I have never seen breasts like I´ve seen in this country. This is not necessarily because they have not been around, but because they have not been quite so…well displayed. Lovely wobbly breasts are absolutely everywhere. I find them very funny for some reason. In a country full of low cut shirts, there have been a few women whose shirts have been so exposing that I’ve been convinced the boobs would pop out at any moment. Bubble right out of their nests. One such woman was rather large. She was apparently not as concerned as I was that her boobies might get loose, so she danced a wiggly sort of dance, and I think I was not the only one wondering if they might just…might just…oops. They didn’t. But her show offered some real competition to the main attraction, which was the woman at the other end of the room who was channeling an African spirit named Ogún Balañó.

But that is a whole different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment