Saturday, July 11, 2009

The DR: On Men, Food, and Beauty

Preamble: It is a great irony to lose one´s voice when one is trying to learn a language. At the same time it’s a bit of a reprieve—a sanctioned break from struggling through mutilated sentences. It’s a break for those who have to listen to me, too! I’m drinking lots of tea with honey and lime. All will be better soon.

And now on to what you've all be waiting for.


*On men

Darío! Ha! For the record, Darío is no tiguere. In Ecuador they were called ‘tiburones’—sharks. Here they are called ‘tigueres’—tigers. They are guys who hang out on corners and say enticing things like, ‘Hey girlfriend!’ or ‘Hey [insert person’s color]’ or, for my benefit, and this is one of my personal favorites, ‘American people! I love you baby!’ No, Darío is not a tiguere, he’s a guy who works with Loida in politics, managing a team of people who…and that’s where I stopped understanding what he was saying when he explained what he does.

It was an awkward situation to begin with. The two of us were swimming with mucha gente. Me, Darío, the people who had brought us together, and half the rest of the DR. We were in the mountains, escaping the heat of the city. 


 This was taken when the crowd had subsided considerably


The funny thing is, no one here has any tolerance for cold, so even though I thought the water was lovely (and we all know how wimpy I am), Darío, who is a great hunk of man, was shivering visibly. I asked if he wanted to go back to the table, gesturing toward the terrace above where other people from our party were hanging out with the our bags. He thought I had asked him to “dar una vuelta” which I guess in this case is go for a walk around the swimming hole. Whatever. I said yes to the question he thought I had posed. Vamo. So we’re chatting, me practically naked in my bikini, him fully clothed, having gone swimming in his shorts and T shirt. What do we do for a living? How do we know Loida? Nothing intimate whatsoever. Then the inevitable. He asks if I have a boyfriend. I pause, then say, “Vamos a decir que sí” Let’s say I do. Of course I immediately wished I’d just said, “Si” and left it at that, but his response? Not ‘What do you mean by that?’ or ‘How long have you been together?’ or anything like that. He says, “I like that you’re honest about it. It’s probably just as well. You’re only here for a month and I’m very sensitive. I get attached to people.” He took my blank stare of utter bewilderment to be a linguistic problem, and repeated what he'd said slowly and more clearly. It was all I could do to keep it together. I smiled and nodded and led the way back to our group. Awkward silence plagued us from that moment forth.

*On food

Ayayay the fried food.  It is a test of a person’s metabolism.

 Breakfast with Luz: eggs with yucca, or mangu, or tostones whatever strikes her fancy. 

Dinner with Maria: Empanadas


 Vacation food I: Coconut on Playa Rincón

 Vacation food II: Fish, Rice, and Beans on Playa Rincón
Playa Rincón


*On beauty

Obesity and beauty are most definitely not mutually exclusive categories here. There are plenty of flacos and flaquitas, but big boned boys and girls get down and dirty on the dance floor, too. And I mean dirty. And everyone and their mother gets…appreciated…by any audience. There always seem to be people watching. On the street, in the discotecas, in the park. They notice, they comment, the feedback is always good. I wonder why people devote so much time to preening, when they’re just as likely to get attention walking around with rollers in their hair as when they’re all made up, with straight and smooth and shiny locks. I love seeing people in rollers, incidentally. Cracks me up.

 
La Santica in Rollers

And that´s quite enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment